Writing: A Subtle Fear of small business owners
If you ask an owner small business to make a presentation in public, you can see beads of sweat forming almost immediately. In other words, if your attention is not on his knees hit their leg or imitating a piston right where they sit.
While speaking in public is a known and easy afraid to admit a lot of the writing is a more subtle fear. Accept the task is easy, but when it comes to stringing words together, many business owners are like a deer in headlights.
Like the best writers speaker value of speech and professional athletes have coaches, business owners need writers and editors. Here are some areas where most small businesses could use a wordsmith:
Writing Big Pieces
- Website Copy :. There are many web pages of small business filled with mutilated text piecemealed and pasted from several sources, not always to their own pages or brochures
- Ebooks : Each owner the company likes to think they are an expert in their field (ask their employees). Every business owner wants more mailing list. Ebooks can prove the old while building it.
- Press Releases : While some authors believe that press releases are a thing of the past, small business owners (potential customers) do not. In small cities, well written press releases can mean local media coverage.
- Blog Posts : This type of writing is the mud, where many companies get stuck. Provide a copy of the conversation relevant to a targeted audience, with a clear call to action, often means more profit in less time (and agony).
- Items : Most business owners are not familiar with terms such as article marketing, infomercials, or native. They like the concept, but are reluctant to write.
- Pages sales and Landing Pages : Most small business owners are familiar with the concept of long-form sales letters. Few are able to put the copy, legends and calls to action together.
Little Bits & Pieces
- Advertising : Television and radio remain a popular platform for small advertising dollars to businesses , especially in local markets. As you know, short and fast is not always synonymous with clear and concise.
- Catalogue or Product Descriptions : Small blurbs as product descriptions, copy catalog and menu items are often difficult for a small business owner. It becomes an exercise ketchup trying to read his own label -. Inside the bottle
- Email: canned responses are time savers. Models emails sale or inquiry emails can also save time and increase awareness. When clear, concise writing, a small business can send these emails with confidence.
- Ad Copy :. From hooks to the internal signaling, chamber directory listings in telephone directories, some small businesses have not changed their ad copy in the years
- Brochures : Always considered a planned leave behind them, the sale of collateral like brochures and selling cards hold a lot of value in some companies. Creativity can be a key in creating a copy library for use elsewhere in the business.
- status updates :. If a small business is active in social media, status updates more like commercials that conversations
- Speech and presentations : That the full body of the speech or insight, some of the best presenters tap into the strengths of a writer. presentation slide shows often need a good writer or editor.
- Profiles and Bios : Many entrepreneurs have difficulty writing about themselves. Bio pages on the web, in print or media kits, and social media profiles can all use touch of a professional writer.
- Video and Podcast Scripts : The “ums” and “ers” and the ever popular “for” and “essentially” fill video voiceovers and podcast episodes through mediums . Good writing and a tool like CuePrompter will ring your customers speak for themselves when they say the words you’ve written.
- Transcription and Re-purposing : the smart business owners are starting to realize the value of presentations and recorded conversations, capturing large portions or little money they can quotes use elsewhere. A writer or editor that can extract the value of the set is an asset to the company.
- SEO Copywriting : writing title tags, titles, and meta-data is a writing skills specialty of its own. Recognizing how to improve findability copy is also a force many companies do not have in-house. SEO copywriting is one of the most sought after types of writing.
- Infographics : This writing style also requires talent for research and design. Being able to work in partnership with a person of graphics can enhance the copy and flow.
- Tutorials : Technical Writing or instruction manuals are very important for many types of businesses. Small businesses with a high turnover of employment are often looking for operational guidelines for new employees. Manufacturers are always looking for a simpler way to teach customers how to use their products.
- Grant Writing . If writing blog posts scares in the mind of a business owner, grant writing can send them running for cover
Many small business owners will avoid writing at all costs, sometimes delegating to someone within their company. All businesses will not use any types of writing listed above. Probably they are not yet considered the possibility of most of them.
As I work with small business owners daily, the writing is clearly one of their weaknesses. If you’re a writer, or learn how to build a copywriting company, I strongly encourage you to reach small business owners in your area and help in these areas.
About the author
Mike Sansone works with small business owners and solopreneurs in building a better business presence online and offline via his company, SmallBizTracks. He is the author of the blog converstations since 2006. You can connect with Mike on Twitter or Google Plus.
Did you enjoy this post? I save my best writing SEO and strengthening the activities of advice for my newsletter. Sign up today!
Photo courtesy of niekverlaan